1. Where did the word Kinesio come from?
The name comes from the science of Kinesiology, because the taping method and tape allow the body and muscles to move while it assists in rehabilitation.
2. What does Kinesio Taping® and tape do?
Kinesio Taping® Method is applied over muscles to reduce pain & inflammation, relax overused tired muscles and to support muscles in movement on a 24hr/day basis. It is not a restrictive type of taping and allows for full range of motion. In contrast, traditional sports taping is wrapped around a joint strictly for stabilization and support during a sporting event. Kinesio® tape is used for a wide range of problems. Examples include carpal tunnel syndrome, lower back strain/pain, subluxations, herniated disc, knee conditions, shoulder conditions, sports injuries, etc.
3. Why is Kinesio® Tape used so much more accepted than other tapes?
It has a number of benefits that are not achievable with other tapes. It has One Hundred Percent High-Grade Cotton – for comfort and breathing, One Hundred and Forty Percent Elastic – same flexibility as human skin, Heat Activated Adhesive – although very light, mild and hypo-allergenic Latex Free, Air Circulation Waves – to channel out sweat and water and enhance skin breathing, Durable – average usage 3-4 days per application, More Economical – usually 6-7 applications per roll of tape.
4. Is it the tape or the technique that gives such great results?
Without a doubt, the technique is the most unique, however, the full benefits were not possible until Kinesio® tape was developed. The taping method requires a tape that is patient and skin-friendly, possesses optimum elastic qualities, the same thickness as the skin, and is durable enough to stay on multiple days even through perspiration, sweat and showers.
5. How is the tape applied?
Without getting too technical, the tape is applied over the affected area with the muscles in a stretched position. Then the tape is applied from one end of the muscle to the other with a very little stretch of the tape. The tape is applied from the ORIGIN to INSERTION of the muscle for SUPPORT and from INSERTION to ORIGIN for muscle relaxation.
6. What are the concerns or difficulties with Kinesio Taping® (Trouble Shooting)?
- Skin needs to be free of oil, sweat, or lotion prior to application
- After application rub down tape to activate heat-sensitive glue
- Avoid extreme stretching of the tape during application to avoid skin irritation
- Apply approx. 1 hr prior to activity or shower to allow the glue to adhere properly
- Skin irritation is extremely rare, but special care should be taken with hypersensitive skin patients.